Pages



Thursday, September 18, 2014

Summer Reading

Is there anything quite as wonderful as reading a fabulous book on the beach?
One that pulls you in and keeps you hooked, and makes you forget about everything else? A book that captures your imagination and expands your worldview?

No, no there's not! Without spoiling any plot or endings, here's a list of the beach-friendly reads that I enjoyed this Summer. Surely they would also be quite lovely to enjoy in front of the fireplace on a cool Autumn night with a big mug of hot chocolate!

The Cuckoo's Calling and The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith
Everyone knows by now that Robert Galbraith is actually really JK Rowling's male pseudonym. And everyone who knows me knows that I basically worship JK Rowling. I had high expectations for her detective series starring Cormoran Strike, ex-navy amputee private eye, and they were met ten fold. Absolutely brilliant.


The Vacationers by Emma Straub
As much as I love historical fiction or a good fast paced mystery, there is something to be said for a story about a normal family going through normal things like marriage troubles and growing up. The only thing not normal about this story is that it takes place over the course of one very interesting family's vacation in Mallorca. The characterization is so detailed and thorough that it makes you feel like you know each character intimately.


The Lantern by Deborah Lawrenson
After I read this book, I searched high a low for one just like it and was disappointed numerous times. it was just so richly descriptive and whimsical that nothing quite compared. I got my entire family to read and rave about it. The Lantern is a gothic novel full of secrets, love and mystery set in beautiful and richly described Provence, France.


The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
Kate Morton is the queen of generational novels that tie in the past and present, always in a different beautiful European setting. The Forgotten Garden was the first book of hers that I read, but certainly not the last. It is my favorite though. About a girl searching for her own identity, which is intertwined with that of her mysterious grandma's past. A very good read.


Penpal by Dathan Auerbach
I was craving a good scare and Penpal delivered. Originally posted as a series of short stories on the No Sleep subreddit (which I am a frequent lurker of), in this book the author published the stories in chronological order. The account of how one boy pieces parts of his memory back together only to make a terrifying discovery will definitely keep you up at night.


Lullaby by Chuck Pallahniuk
Well I wasn't quite done scaring myself silly. In this sharp tongued Pallahniuk book, a newspaper report, a real estate agent that specializes in haunted properties, her assistant and an eco-terrorist go on the hunt for all the pages of a children's poem that kills anyone who hears it.


Currently reading the Outlander series... I've started and stopped the first book about a dozen times, not because I didn't like it but because I got sucked into a different book, but now I'm in deep enough that I'm hooked! I want to finish the book before I inevitably get stuck in the tv show too!


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

(c) Stephanie Lincoln 2014. Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design